Friday, April 06, 2007

Using herbs for ferrets


UNA:
GPT(ALT) is very high.
From last week, we are reducing amount of steroid which is prescribed for her insulinoma.
APOLLO:
BUN and CRE is very high(he only has one kidney).
KOMOMO:
She has been feeling sick since end of last year according to gastritis and sometimes she threw up.

According to these symptom, I decided to use herbs to help them.

for UNA:
Turmeric, milk thistle and dandelion might work well with liver problems.
Licorice might work well with reducing amout of steroid, and increasing glucose in blood.

for APOLLO:
Dandelion might work well with kidney problems.

for KOMOMO:
Fennel might work well with stomach problems.

Using these herbs, UNA and APOLLO will take blood test again at end of this month.
For KOMOMO, veterinarian said what he can only do is to prescribe a medicine which can stop sickness, or to prescribe a medicine which can protect mucous membrane, but cannot do anything for her gastritis itself, but after using fennel, her throwing up frequency became low.

[How to use it?]
1) Put herbs and enzyme in a pan, warm it a little bit until herbs are half digested. Then smash it into power. You can use it as a suppliment or you can give it with food.
2) You can boil herbs like when you are serving herb tea. You can make your ferret drink with
syringe driver. Ferrets love its taste.

1) is more recommended because herbs are not effected by heat which breaks vitamins.

4 comments:

Nona said...

Hello Chiaki

I only just came across your blog today and found it very interesting. I hope you will be writing more about how you treat your ferrets with natural remedies as I am very interested it how these things work.

I recently lost my oldest ferret to heart disease but my vet was surprised she lasted as long as she did. I think it was because I was giving her Traditional Chinese Medicine in addition to her western medicine :-)

I have put your blog's link on my site

http://www.all-about-ferrets.blogspot.com/

and if you have any more things to share about natural remedies, I would love to hear from you on my website

http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/natural-remedies-for-ferrets.html

Chiaki said...

>Nona

Thank you for your comment.
I didn't realize there are people reading this weblog...

After this entry, UNA died on Nov. 8th, because of heart attack, not because of an attack of hypoglucemia.
She did not surrender to Insulinoma.
She did not suffer at all.
My vet was very surprised, but I think this is because I was giving her fructose.

KOMOMO's tail lost hair, and her adrenal became bigger as 5mm*5mm on Nov. last year.
I gave her zinc and vitamins for nutritional therapy, then her hair grew, and her adrenal became smaller as 3mm*3mm.

These are the things I experienced.
I will write details within this month.
I'm sorry but English is not my first language, so it takes lot of time to write :'-(

Thank you for informing me your blog and website.
I will be so glad if we can share these information.

Nona said...

Oh Chiaki - so sorry to hear about Una. It always is so hard to lose a ferret, especially to illness :-(

There is another blog which you might be interested in looking at

http://nippynihon.blogspot.com/

She also lives in Japan and writes about natural therapy!

I wish my Japanese was as excellent as your English but I can understand how difficult it must be to write everything down - you've done a great job! :-)

Unknown said...

ちあきさん、

このブログはとても便利になると思います。アメリカには、CHINESE MEDICINE とフェレット聞いたことがありません。私はPAULIEといいうフェッレとが一年間かっています。"I want what's best for him"気持ちがあります。たしかに、未来で病気になるのでITACHI DE HOLISTICの興味があります.私の日本語がへたなんですけど”ちあきさんは英語で書いてありがとうございます”と言いたかったです.